The Committee Remits are to change for 2017-2018
Convener: Rev Fiona Smith
- To coordinate and encourage the operation of the Presbytery Committees and to ensure that they are fulfilling their remits.
- To arrange the order of business of the Presbytery;
- To act as the Nomination Committee for Moderator, Conveners, Standing Committees, Additional Elders, Corresponding Members, Interim Moderators, Ad Hoc Committees and other representatives on other bodies.
- Oversee the inspection of Presbytery and congregational records;
- To collate the list of congregational office-bearer details and congregational statistics as required by the General Assembly.
- To provide initial instruction and continuous support to the Moderator;
- To produce annual Handbook and Directory for Presbytery members and congregations.
- To keep under review and publish various literature and guides, including a guide to the Presbytery itself and a guide on record keeping.
- To be responsible for specific pastoral care and health needs of ministers under medical attention and manse families.
- To be the point of referral for issues of conflict in congregations and for matters relating to the discipline of ministers, deacons, readers and elders.
- To make arrangements for all special services.
- Administer Assembly remits.
- Elect Commissioners to the General Assembly in accordance with the approved rotas.
- To advise the Moderator in calling pro re nata meetings where business arising cannot be held over to the next ordinary meeting.
- To act as the Vacancy Procedure Committee in terms of Act VIII, 2003.
- Supervise the Presbytery website.
- To oversee data protection requirements for the Presbytery and congregations.
- To act in routine matters not the business of other Committees in accordance with the accepted practice and procedure of the Church.
Congregational Support Committee
Convener: Rev David Scott
- To administer the Local Church Review Scheme in accordance with Act I 2011 and in line with Presbytery policy.
- To oversee Safeguarding Procedures within the Presbytery.
- To oversee Data Protection within Presbytery
Local Church Review Teams for 2018
Ardersier with Petty
- Jonathan Fraser (Convener), Hugh Watt, Russell Lees, [plus one other]
Dalneigh & Bona
- Douglas McRoberts (Convener), Alison Mehigan, Nan Burtwell, Jim Dow
Daviot & Dulichity with Moy, Dalarossie & Tomatin
- Bruce Ritchie (Convener), Donald MacQuarrie, Duncan Chisholm, Roger Gleed-Gates
Dores & Boleskine
- Peter Donald (Convener), Ian Manson, Jim Anderson, [plus one other]
Doctrine, Worship & Ecumenical Committee
Convener: Rev Scott McRoberts
- To assist the Presbytery in dealing with matters of theology, worship, ecclesiology and ecumenical matters.
- Respond to relevant remits from Presbytery and the General Assembly.
Education & Outreach Committee
Convener: Rev Ian Manson
- To promote the Christian education of all ages within the Presbytery bounds and to take a lead role in developing strategies, resources and services in Christian Education and nurture, recognising these as central to both mission and discipleship.
- To be concerned with all matters of education in schools and further education.
- To promote adult education and office-bearer training within the Presbytery.
- To provide an appropriate and continuing strategy for mission and evangelism within the bounds of the Presbytery.
- To promote the overseas work of the Church of Scotland.
- To promote and foster mission partnerships and Presbytery partnerships to overseas congregations and Presbyteries.
- To act as a link between Christian Aid and the Presbytery.
- To consider the promotion of the Christian faith in all forms of media.
- To oversee the resourcing of congregational leaders for spiritual development and future focus.
Church & Society Sub-Committee
- To responds to social, public and community issues and to engage Presbytery in debates on these issues.
Convener: Rev Alastair Younger
- To promote teaching and understanding of Christian stewardship.
- To annually determine the Ministries and Mission allocations for congregations in accordance with the Regulations approved by the General Assembly.
- To report to Presbytery on stipend arrangements for ministers and review log books.
- To process Vacancy Schedules, in consultation with the Property Committee.
- To establish and train a Financial Advisory Team to assist congregations having shortfalls in their contributions and to advise on the preparation of Accounts.
- To support and facilitate the work of the Presbytery Treasurer.
- To submit for approval, the Presbytery Budget (including the allocation of Presbytery dues) for the forthcoming year at the November Presbytery meeting.
- To submit the Presbytery accounts for approval at the March Presbytery meeting.
- To oversee the work of the Congregational Accounts Examination and Advisory Committee, and examine and attest Congregational Accounts in accordance with the Regulations of the General Assembly regarding Congregational Finance.
- To keep before the Presbytery, the issue of vocations.
- To support the Enquiry and Assessment Process.
- To support the training process for candidates and Probationers (this includes OLMs, Readers and Deacons) and to offer pastoral support and encouragement to them all individually.
- To train and appoint Presbytery Assessors in respect of the assessment process for candidates and Probationers.
- To oversee the day-to-day aspects of the well-being and pastoral care of ministers.
- To oversee and supervise the work of the Presbytery Chaplain and to provide the Presbytery with an annual review of the work of the Presbytery Chaplain.
- To co-ordinate and make recommendations on Ministers’ applications for Study Leave.
- To offer opportunities for continuing education and training to ministers, deacons and readers.
- To encourage appropriate awareness of, and response to, the requirements of people with particular needs including physical, sensory and/or learning disabilities.
- To represent Presbytery in the Enquiry and Assessment process, including the Local Review.
- To represent Presbytery at Initial Course Meetings for new candidates.
- To represent the Presbytery at the Annual Course Review meetings for candidates during their training and at the Interim & Final Reviews during Probation placements.
- To nominate as Candidates for the Ministry those who have been accepted as Prospective Candidates by an Assessment Conference, other than in cases of difficulty.
- To carry out the responsibilities required of Presbytery in supervising Readers–in–Training.
- To interview Graduate Candidates seeking ordination other than as a parish minister.
Presbytery Planning Committee
Convener: Rev Hector Morrison
- To review the current Presbytery Plan in consultation with all congregations and propose a revised plan thereafter to keep the Presbytery Plan under review. To act on behalf of Presbytery in respect of all matters connected with parish reappraisal.
- To implement parish reappraisal matters in accordance with the Presbytery Plan.
- To conduct an annual review of the Presbytery Plan.
- To consider and advise on all applications to carry out fabric works the cost of which exceeds the current Financial Limit declared by the Presbytery & the General Assembly, with a view to advising the Presbytery whether the building involved is a necessary building in terms of the ongoing missionary strategy of the Church.
- To receive and consider all requests for adjustments to parish boundaries and to negotiate adjustments with Kirk Sessions.
Convener: Rev Fraser Turner
- To arrange for the annual inspection of Property Registers.
- To administer the five-yearly inspection of properties.
- To make recommendations to Presbytery on property works whose cost would exceed the financial limits from time to time set by the Presbytery and General Trustees.
- To oversee health and safety in all works within the Presbytery’s bounds.
- Administer application to the General Trustees for grants, loans and the release of monies from the Central Fabric Fund.
- To administer all applications in respect of fabric and furnishings, unless in the opinion of the Committee the nature or cost of the work to be done, or consideration of forward planning, requires the judgement of the Presbytery.
- To supervise and advise on tenders for work, contracts, lettings and use of buildings.
Convener: Rev Alison Mehigan
Remit to follow soon.